We hope you brought your appetite, because Comfort Food Month is here! At Visit Concord, we’ve decided to name January the official month of all things decadent and delicious. You may remember Comfort Food Week, which was a hit in years past, but the sequel is back and it’s supersized! This year, tuck in for a month-long celebration of our city’s best eats and treats.
If you’re a local or a visitor from outside of the East Bay, we welcome you to enjoy special deals, content and the chance to win our grand prize giveaway all month long from Visit Concord and all of our proud partners in the restaurant scene! Those coming to town to partake can book a stay at one of our great hotels, where you can inquire at the front desk about Comfort Food Month to get insider tips and more information.
In all of the Bay Area, what’s special about the food scene in Concord? More than you might expect! Concord is indeed surrounded by regions that are well-known for their chefs, their fresh local produce, their wine and their atmosphere, which is why it’s no surprise that our own local melting pot is simmering with flavor over here!
The Concord Taco Trail has been hugely popular in recent years (thanks for spreading the word, Food & Wine Magazine), with more than 40 taquerias and Mexican restaurants participating. Meanwhile, more and more spots have bubbled up in our community, which has opened its arms and mouths for cuisines ranging from classic to exotic. We’ve been on the foodie blogs time after time … after time. And although the accolades keep stacking up, we’re also proud that our restaurants remain affordable and accessible to all.
Come and get a taste of what Concord Comfort Food Month has to offer, and you might just find yourself crabsolutely stuffed and eager to plan a return trip!
What to Expect
So what’s on the menu for the month? Here’s what you need to know to make the most of Comfort Food Month:
- More than 35 participating restaurants offering special deals and menu items throughout January.
- A downloadable mobile app to track the latest specials.
- Four weekly themes based on foodie fun (look below to find itineraries and inspo for each week!).
- Special fun on social media, including posts from foodie influencers using #ConcordComfortFood.
- A GRAND PRIZE GIVEAWAY of one of our Stay & Play Packages, including a night at the Concord Plaza Hotel and gift certificates to two participating restaurants.
Week 1: Cozy Classics
We’re kicking off the month in classic comfort food mode with American-style favorites. Mac ‘n’ cheese, burgers, diner breakfasts, wings, pizza – you get the drift! Unpretentious food that fills you up both physically and emotionally is at the heart of these restaurants. Here are three ideas for celebrating this week:
- Barney’s Hickory Pit: Nothing’s more comforting than barbecue, and Barney’s has been slinging great ’cue since 1957! Try wood-fired ribs, steaks, or sliced meat sandwiches of all varieties. Great country breakfast, too.
- Next Level Burger: You can’t go wrong with a burger at a place called Next Level Burger, but we also have to recommend the Chili Chz Brat, which is buy one, get one free during Comfort Food Month! And bonus for vegetarians and vegans out there: Next Level Burger is all plant-based.
Week 2: Eat the World
It’s tough to beat Concord’s huge array of Mexican restaurants, and many folks are surprised to find out how many incredible Asian restaurants we have in town, too! This week, we’re celebrating restaurants with origins all over the world. We believe that comfort food means any food that fuels your soul, as well as your stomach. Here are a few worldly eateries you should try:
- Papi Clary’s Kitchen: Fair warning: You might have to get in line at this hoppin’ spot! A fusion of Mexican flavors, Filipino street food and more come together at Papi Clary’s, where you can get the sisig fries pictured above, a bowl of birria ramen or one of the best spicy chicken sandwiches you’ve ever had.
- Fiore: Lovers of Italian food will get to mix it up a bit at Fiore, where chef Habib El Jacifi creates new dishes with the influence of the Mediterranean and of his birthplace, Morocco. Try a unique option like lamb shank braised with a demi-glace and gorgonzola sauce, or stick with a classic pasta (available gluten free). During Comfort Food Month, Fiore is offering free tiramisu dessert with the purchase of an entree!
- Love Thai: This popular stop has terrific curries, soups, seafood specialties and so much more, all presented beautifully with large portions for the price. Reviews talk of the restaurant’s authenticity to traditional Thai cuisine, and it’s become a local favorite!
Week 3: Takeout & To-Go
One of the absolute best things about our area is the number of awesome to-go food options, all up for celebration in Week 3 of Comfort Food Month. More and more restaurants in Concord sell on food delivery apps these days, much to the convenience and pleasure of locals and visitors, plus we have incredible snack spots to hit up and food trucks to enjoy at events. Grab some of these eats, and head off to hike at Mount Diablo, picnic at Lime Ridge Open Space or stroll and shop around Todos Santos Plaza downtown.
- OG Tacos food truck, appearing frequently at Epidemic Ales: You get a bonus craft brewery at this Comfort Food Month stop! Epidemic Ales makes award-winning craft beer, and they have rotating food trucks six days a week. Recently, the ultra-popular OG Tacos truck has been selling out of birria tacos and birria ramen there on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- The Lettuce Inn: Trying to eat a little healthier this year? We’ve got you covered! The Lettuce Inn serves an all plant-based menu that is as delicious as it is healthful, and they’re super popular for takeout and are happy to take phone orders! This is such a great choice for a healthy picnic, and they also offer catering.
- Parma Delicatessen: You can’t beat a great sub sandwich for carryout! Parma Deli has classics to go, and they’re also a popular choice for catering around Concord. During C0mfort Food Month, you can get a free drink and side with the purchase of a tasty meatball sub.
Week 4: Dessert
Raise your hand if this is the week you’ve been waiting for! We’re saving DESSERT WEEK for last, naturally. Concord is an absolute dream for all you sweet tooth folks out there. Here are a few sugary spots you should put on your list:
- PopBar: Located at The Veranda shopping center, PopBar serves gelato-based popsicles that are as ridiculously photogenic as they are delicious. This fun, portable treat is great for families and foodies alike.
- Out the Dough: This unique shop serves up cookie dough. For real. But this cookie dough is totally safe to eat, baked or not, and still comes with a big scoop of nostalgia! There’s also gelato, cannoli and … well … cookies.
- Beard Papa’s: Open just about a year in Concord, Beard Papa’s has become a huge hit among everyone who tries one of their decadent cream puffs. The only hard part is choosing which flavor.
Make a Reservation Now!
Are you drooling yet? It’s OK – we won’t tell! With everything Concord has on the menu for Comfort Food Month, we sure are! We can’t wait to celebrate our community’s incredible chefs and other restaurant staffers this month. Reserve your stay in Concord now. And remember to follow us on social media and use #ConcordComfortFood!