Easy Lemon Blueberry Cake
Make this sweet, citrusy delight with fresh lemons and blueberries in season now at the Concord Farmer's Market
- 1 box vanilla or yellow cake mix, plus package ingredients (or make batter from scratch with your own recipe)
- Juice and zest of 1 1/2 lemons, divided, plus more zest for garnish
- 1 3/4 c. fresh blueberries, divided
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 Thin lemon slices, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350º and grease three 9" round cake pans with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, then stir in juice and zest of 1 lemon.
2. In a small bowl, toss 1 cup blueberries and flour until completely coated (this will prevent the berries from sinking to the bottom). Carefully fold blueberries into the batter.
3. Divide cake batter evenly among prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, approx. 18 to 20 minutes.
4. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then place on wire rack to cool completely.
5. In a large bowl using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer using the whisk attachment), beat butter and 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar.
6. Add remaining lemon juice and zest and heavy cream and beat until combined, then beat in vanilla and salt. (Add up to remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar as desired for texture and flavor.)
7. Place first cake on plate and top with frosting, then repeat with second cake. Repeat with third cake and frost sides.
8. Garnish with remaining blueberries, lemon slices, and zest and serve.